Registration closed. Event for 2019 completed.
Nurturing Innovation in Fibre Technology for Industry (NIFTI)
Tomorrow’s solutions to today’s challenges in the pulp and paper industry
Tuesday April 30 to Friday May 3, 2019
This course, NIFTI 2019, is designed as a challenge-based bootcamp with two themes: Basics and Innovation.
- First, you will learn fundamentals in technology and practices of the pulp, paper, and bioproducts industry in a structured lecture–lab environment.
- You will then explore transformative innovations and solutions using a team-based approach to existing challenges that includes virtual feasibility testing at an industrial site.
NIFTI’s intensive 3½-day workshop provides a fundamental grounding of pulp, paper and fibre technology.
It is optimally suited for:
- Personnel in the pulp and paper industry to advance their understanding of the growing bioeconomy.
Profile: You could be an accountant, a safety officer, a policy maker, a scientist, a marketing executive, a pulp mill operator, a superintendent, technical assistant … . You are keen to get a great handle about the industry, strengthen your credibility or advance your career.
- Graduates and technicians aspiring for jobs in the forestry sector and with the pulp and paper industry.
- Consultants who have pulp and paper industry as their clients.
- Undergraduates and graduates, mainly in the engineering and science fields, who will be stepping out of their university portals and have set their sights on the bioproducts industry.
What does NIFTI 2019 cover?
All of the course modules and labs (Units 1 to 10) are conducted by experienced researchers and faculty in UBC’s Faculty of Applied Science and the Faculty of Forestry. Unit 11 will be delivered by a senior scientist at an advanced bioproducts facility on UBC campus. NIFTI covers the following topics:
Unit 1: Natural Resources
Unit 2: Mechanical Pulping
Unit 3: Pulp Processing
Unit 4a: Pilot Refiner and Screens – lab tour
Unit 4b: Lab Component – Handsheets Making, HandsheetTesting, Fibre Quality Analysis (FQA) and Freeness
Unit 5a: Kraft Pulping
Unit 5b: Recovery and Bleaching
Unit 6a: Paper Making
Unit 6b: Papermaking Chemistry
Unit 7: Lab Component – Biomass and Bioproducts
Stream I: Chemical analysis (HPLC and solvent extraction) Or
Stream II: Confocal microscopy and biomaterials/enzymes
Unit 8a: Biorefinery and Biofuels
Unit 8b: Bioenergy
Unit 8c: Biomaterials and Biochemicals
Unit 9: Tour of Bioenergy Research Demonstration Facility
Unit 10: Innovation workshop – Troubleshooting Round Tables (3-4)
Unit 11a: Sweetners from Pre-hydrolysis Kraft Liquor
Unit 11b: Tour of Fortress Advanced Bioproducts (FAB) Pilot Plant
And last but not the least, Occupational Health and Safety Lecture –Invited Guest Speaker from WorkSafe BC.
Your registration is considered complete only after you pay the course fee online. The course fee of $1,200/- is not refundable.** Registration closed on April 22.
This course is set at a capped intake to optimize registrants’ experiences in the lab and innovation roundtables.
**Please note: The course fee will be refunded only if we do not receive enough registrations to run this course.